Zimbabwe landlocked country located in Southern Africa. Progressio has been sending ICS volunteers to Zimbabwe since March 2012 working on the themes of HIV and AIDS, sexual and reproductive health awareness and sustainable livelihoods.
Activities have included:
- Getting involved with local HIV support groups
- Putting on business management and marketing workshops
- Talent shows, festivals and football and netball tournaments to raise awareness of HIV and AIDS.
- HIV and AIDS and sexual and reproductive health workshops in schools
- Renovating an Early Childhood Development Centre
- Publishing a newsletter and a poetry book
- Carrying out a disease awareness session with women’s groups
- Sessions on child abuse and rights of children and how best to protect children from all forms of abuse.
- Gender based violence sessions with the women’s groups elaborating on the rights of women and women empowerment.
- Capacity building sessions covering conservation farming, discussing the various ways of farming whilst conserving the soil and the environment wisely.
- Supporting a Birth Registration Campaign, as many children are unknown to the state and as such struggle to take school exams or receive food aid during the droughts.
- Computer literacy sessions.
Find out more about what it's like to volunteer with Progressio ICS by reading our volunteers' blog
Don't forget every placement is different, to start your journey complete the application form on the ICS website